This past year was a big year for GSW. Here are just some of our highlights from 2014:
– We developed and launched a new curriculum at the start of the school year in March. So far it has been, well, awesome! The kids love the new foundational lessons that we insert into the sports curriculum throughout the year. The foundational lessons explicitly focus on our five main goals, leadership, team work, self-confidence, healthy living, and communication. The activities are fun and challenge the students to think about and develop their skills from sport lessons in new ways. Read more about the curriculum roll-out here.
– Kat and Kaitlyn went to Lima with Paula, one of our young leaders in the leadership development program to compete in Lima’s Marathon Race Series. We saw Paula flourish and grow throughout the training and competition and had a ton of fun in the process. Read about race day here.
– The Spirit of Football brought cultural insights, a fun match between our girls and the Special Olympics team of Cusco, and World Cup excitement to Cusco. Read more about our inspiring and fun collaboration here.
– New Project Managers, Ali Philbrick and Carly Williams, joined us in August. Prior to flying out, we hosted our first in-person Orientation Weekend in July. Ali and Carly have done a fabulous job improving on our programs and making progress toward their fundraising goals.
– Escalando Esperanzas invited our girls to rock climb with them at the end of the year. We were especially excited because five mothers joined us for the adventure and pushed their limits on the rock. More to come on that soon!
We hope you’ll continue to follow our stories right here as we pick up the pace in March 2015, when classes begin in Cusco. Happy New Year!
– Carly and Ali